You might not think about it, but carbon monoxide is very present in our everyday lives. It’s the fourth-most abundant gas in our atmosphere, and every one of us breathes out carbon monoxide thousands of times per day.
While everyday levels of carbon monoxide aren’t enough to cause us any real harm, under certain circumstances high levels can lead to headaches, fatigue and trouble breathing.
Carbon monoxide levels are measured in parts per million (ppm). About 350 ppm is considered a “safe” level; levels of 1000 ppm or more are considered high, and should be reduced as quickly as possible.
Here are 3 sources of increased carbon monoxide levels to look out for in your home:
- Lack of proper ventilation
Opening windows and doors will allow fresh air to flow freely and carbon monoxide to escape without becoming a health hazard. When an exchange of fresh air does not occur, carbon monoxide levels can rise quickly and dramatically. Poorly ventilated rooms where a large number of people or pets are present can also cause carbon monoxide levels to increase beyond normal limits.
- Proximity to combustion
On cold nights you may be tempted open up the flue and get the fireplace working. As satisfying as the crackling sounds of a burning log can be, the burning process also releases carbon monoxide into the air.
- Fertilizers and soil decomposition
Whenever organic matter in soil naturally decomposes, carbon monoxide is released. In places where the soil been heavily treated with fertilizers, excessive amounts of carbon monoxide may exist.
The best way to detect carbon monoxide buildup is to have your home’s air quality tested by an experienced professional like the team at Mitchell Heating.
Mitchell Heating is a family-owned and operated business dedicated to serving the Colorado Springs, Denver Metro, and Northern Colorado areas through quality and affordable service. Whether you’re looking to test carbon monoxide levels or to repair your HVAC system, the team at Mitchell Heating has the experience to do the job right.